NEW YORK — So here we go with the debate: Is making it to the NIT championship game bigger for Georgia Tech than a one-and-done NCAA appearance would have been?
If you haven’t been paying attention — and I understand most folks generally don’t pay attention to the NIT — Tech has advanced to the NIT title game with four straight wins. The most recent came in the tournament semifinals Tuesday night, when the Jackets dumped Cal State Bakersfield 76-61 at Madison Square Garden.
This will be only the third time the Jackets will play for a postseason championship. The NCAA title appearance in 2004 against Connecticut stirred a bit more interest (the Jackets lost 82-73). Tech also lost to North Carolina for the NIT title in 1971.
Nobody expected Tech to go 8-10 in the ACC or win 21 games this season, so this season already has been a success, regardless of how things go against Texas Christian in the NIT championship game Thursday night. But as amazing of a run as this has been, what do you believe sounds better: “Tech made it to the NCAA tournament in coach Josh Pastner’s first season” or “Tech reached the NIT finals in coach Josh Pastner’s first season.”
I still say: an NCAA tournament bid wins, even with a quick exit.
If the Jackets win the NIT, I’d still lean toward the NCAA berth, although not by much.
Agree or disagree? I’ve posted a poll above for you to vote.
Subscribe to the, “We Never Played The Game” podcast with the AJC’s Jeff Schultz and WSB’s Zach Klein on iTunes.
- Georgia Tech wins again and rolls into NIT final
- Georgia Tech players believe NIT run is positive sign for future
- Pastner has been master for Georgia Tech but Gregory deserves some credit
- Fate of Dwight Clark, Gale Sayers reaffirms NFL is not doing enough
- Georgia Tech advances to NIT semis in another big step for Josh Pastner
- Newness of Kirby Smart has worn off at Georgia; now it’s about winning
- Tiger Woods says he hopes to play in Masters (this should be interesting)
- Time eventually ran out for Richt at Georgia — now it’s Fox who’s on clock
- Hawks’ Budenholzer being hurt by his own front office moves
- Mark Fox shouldn’t have let Georgia’s season come down to beating Kentucky
- Georgia survives another day — except the next day is Kentucky
- Falcons not ‘trading’ Freeman but Tweets forecast ugly negotiations
- Georgia extends Mark Fox’s lifeline — the rest is up to him
- Did Greg McGarity just guarantee Mark Fox is coming back?
- Howard is a problem but Schroder is Hawks’ biggest concern right now
- How They Really Stand,’ from Falcons to … what happened to Dream star?
- Atlanta United gives impression soccer may work this time
- Podcast blog: United’s Darren Eales on WVA, Brown, soccer in Atlanta
- Dansby Swanson exudes leadership potential that Braves’ need
- Aaron Blair’s first outing: bad starts, good finishes — so that’s progress
- Ron Washington making most of chance after life nearly derailed
- Reality of Braves’ managing job still sinking in for Brian Snitker
- Hawks in danger of missing playoffs — and would that be a bad thing?
- Ex-Dog Sanders Commings now trying baseball career with Braves
- Podcast blog: Collective Soul’s Ed Roland on music, sports and Super Bowl pain
- Hawks’ play will have to scream loud to get anybody’s attention
- So Ole Miss wants us to believe Hugh Freeze knew nothing about infractions?
- For the first time, Mark Fox’s job should be questioned at Georgia
- Pastner should be ACC coach of year (and a look at other state teams)
- Tech scores another upset, and tournament chances are real
- Keeping these Hawks together at deadline makes little sense
- Podcast blog: Roddy White dishes on Falcons, Super Bowl, blackjack
- Roddy White sounds off on Super Bowl and lost Las Vegas weekend
- John Coppolella says Braves will be better — but how should we define that?
- How many games will Braves win? Casino over/under set at only 71.5
- Pastner, Fox both big stories this season — one for the wrong reasons
- If Steve Sarkisian takes care of himself, he’ll take care of Falcons offense