We had Roddy White on the “We Never Played The Game” podcast. Let me rephrase that: He had us.
If there’s one thing WSB’s Zach Klein and I have learned from more than a decade of interviewing White when he played for the Falcons, it’s that you never what the man is going to say. But he’s never going to be shy about expressing his opinions and he’s always going to be entertaining.
Tuesday was no exception. White spoke for more than an hour on a variety of topics, including his five children, his career, his exit from the Falcons, his near signing with the New England Patriots, his decision to say no to a few non-contenders who made overtures (Minnesota, Tennessee, Tampa Bay) and, of course, the Falcons’ recent Super Bowl loss.
White had tickets waiting for him, but he decided not to go to the game. Why? Because he dropped a bundle playing blackjack in Las Vegas the night before the game, so he canceled plans to take a private jet with friends to Houston.
He shared some great Las Vegas stories and gave his thoughts on Shanahan’s late-game offensive plays calls that effectively opened the door to the Falcons losing the game.
The audio link to the podcast is here:
White on what he would have done if he was playing for the Falcons when Shanahan sent in a high-risk pass play with the Falcons already in field goal range against New England: “I told Julio (Jones) I would’ve jumped offsides.”
Yeah, that’s enough of a tease.
Enjoy the rest. And remember, all episodes of the, “We Never Played the Game” podcast can be downloaded for free here on our iTunes showpage. Subscribe for them to be automatically delivered to your inbox.
Episodes can also be heard on the WSB radio website (linked here).
Subscribe to the, “We Never Played The Game” podcast with Jeff Schultz and WSB’s Zach Klein on iTunes. All episodes also can be downloaded and heard on iTunes or via WSBRadio.com.
- Roddy White sounds off on Super Bowl and lost Las Vegas weekend
- John Coppolella says Braves will be better — but how do we define that?
- How many games will Braves win? Casino over/under set at only 71.5
- Pastner, Fox both big stories this season — one for the wrong reasons
- Full column: If Steve Sarkisian takes care of himself, he’ll take care of Falcons offense
- Falcons’ hiring of Sarkisian risky but solid if problems under control
- Going down? Falcons’ coaches stuck without elevator after Super Bowl
- A new low for Falcons, a new low for Atlanta
- Matt Ryan wins MVP, now he hopes to buck a Super Bowl trend
- Win the Super Bowl and Falcons would forever be redefined as franchise
- Blank says he’s not nervous about Super Bowl, confident in Falcons
- Grady Jarrett seeks a better Super Bowl ending than his father’s (Jessie Tuggle)
- NFL’s red carpet night will have to do without Matt Ryan — he’s busy
- Taylor Gabriel’s unlikely rise with Falcons seems heaven sent
- Roger Goodell a neutral party? Not likely in this Super Bowl
- Falcons’ pool report: Julio fine, players dance, ‘Brotherhood’ signs
- Super Bowl: 3 Falcons, 3 recruiting stories and no Julio for Auburn
- Dan Quinn speaks in bumper stickers, but message getting through
- Falcons to block most of staff from Shanahan; Chip Kelly a legit option
- Digi-blog goes to Super Bowl opening night – where bar always gets lower
- Exclusive: Falcons’ Scott Pioli helped build Patriots, now he has chance to beat them
- Falcons’ Super Bowl win would be perfect ending for Freeney’s career
- Super Bowl odds: anthem, Lady Gaga’s hair, Ryan vs. soccer game
- Falcons’ toughest Super Bowl opponent might be stage, not Patriots
- Charles Barkley pulling for pal Freeney and Falcons in Super Bowl
- Jalen Collins’ hard road to success is finally paying off
- Todd Prukop, official on non-call in Seattle game, is on Super Bowl crew
- Eugene Robinson understands why he’s still Super Bowl talking point
- Falcons, Pats got some help from Cleveland on way to Super Bowl
- Falcons’ win and Super Bowl birth crowning moment for owner Arthur Blank
- Pats open as 3-point Super Bowl favorites but I like Falcons’ chances
- Never mind legacy: Matt Ryan is proving his greatness now
- Shanahan reads attack — focused on Falcons, has no deal with 49ers
- Shanahan likely to take 49ers job; Blank spoke to 49ers’ York
- Falcons have Arthur Blank dancing (but, fortunately, no Mohawk)
- Podcast blog (audio): Tony Gonzalez on career, acting and a Super Bowl for Falcons
- Tony Gonzalez didn’t win title but says this is Falcons’ time
- Kyle Shanahan could follow in father’s footsteps with 49ers … if he wants to
- Why are Falcons favored? Scoring average in last 6 home games: 35.7
- NFC title set: Falcons’ road to Super Bowl not easy but this is game they can win
- Matt Ryan: 99-yard drive, a playoff win and a timely meeting
- Falcons have been transformed into team Atlanta has waited for
- We’re about to find out if Falcons’ young defense is ready for playoffs
- Podcast blog: Morten Andersen on career, Hall snubs, Vick, more
- Falcons get Seahawks again — and will interference get called this time?
- Want a parade, Atlanta? Falcons are your best hope
- And so it begins: Hawks deal Korver, start their rebuild (podcast added)
- Suddenly, nobody wants the Falcons’ Kyle Shanahan to leave