Last week I wrote a blog suggesting that the sack-starved Falcons should bring in veteran free agent outside linebacker Dwight Freeney for a possible pass-rush role on the team. Click here for that blog.
The Falcons have confirmed Freeney’s impending visit to the Journal Constitution’s D. Orlando Ledbetter.
For my next trick, I will suggest the Braves make trades for Bryce Harper, Mike Trout and Clayton Kershaw.
Before you ask — yes, the Falcons do have room on the roster should they decide to sign Freeney. They waived offensive lineman Cody Elenz, bringing them to 88 players, two below the limit.
This is a good decision by the Falcons. Even at the age of 36, Freeney might have something left to give in pass rush situations. Coaches would obviously limit his snaps. He had eight sacks and three forced fumbles in only 11 games with Arizona last season after spending 11 years with Indianapolis and two with San Diego. The eight sacks would’ve doubled the Falcons’ leader in 2015 (Vic Beasley had four).
The mere fact that coach Dan Quinn and general manager Thomas Dimitroff are considering Freeney illustrates they have a level of concern. And they should. Even with adding speed in the draft, help is needed.
Recent ramblings from the Digital Jukebox
- Teheran has been a master (0.89) but Braves still mess at home (2-18)
- Braves likely won’t look too far for their next manager
- NBA more worried about stars, TV ratings, doesn’t suspend Green
- How long should Braves wait on move to Albies, Swanson?
- Question about Braves’ front office: Who’s in charge?
- Hart, Coppolella need to overcome financial mistakes (like Wren)
- Braves’ handling of Gonzalez’s firing takes clumsy to a new level
- Fredi Gonzalez was fired because Braves needed someone to blame
- Possible vets for Falcons: Freeney, Thurmond, Hardy (not really)
- Do Braves, Falcons, Hawks inspire confidence in future? I rank them
- Poll: Which Atlanta team inspires most, least confidence in future?
- Make that 1-16 for Braves at home (where the heartache is)
- Gonzalez handling turmoil better than most (if you don’t count towel rack assault)
- Five thoughts about Ressler, Horford and Hawks moving forward
- Hawks need major change, lack a go-to star
- Hello, Game 4. Goodbye, Hawks’ season? History says yes
- When Hawks’ season wrap up, Mike Budenholzer may need some help
- Hawks better but Cavaliers are on another level
- There’s a kernel of truth to what Charles Barkley says about Hawks
- Rest of series for Hawks is about big picture
- It’s about time Coppolella, Hart take ownership of Braves’ problems
- Falcons have issues but Blank may be right about playoff projection
- Full Q&A with Arthur Blank on his health, draft and playoffs
- Arthur Blank: Falcons will be playoff team in 2016
- Magic Johnson pitches for LeBron, Durant to Lakers (uh, tampering?)
- Breaking! Hawks are big underdogs to LeBron James, Cavaliers
- Hawks’ defense gets its stiffest test: LeBron James
- One for the history books: Hawks eliminate Celtics
- Have Hawks figured out winning formula?
- Hawks stood tall by going small vs. Celtics
- Falcons needs to get it right with defensive picks
- Braves reportedly have tried to trade Olivera (who has zero value)