OK, Braves: I have a gift for you. I realize this isn’t coming from your closest pal of late but this just shows that I have a heart.
You’re going to the 2017 World Series.
The Braves’ National League pennant next season is pretty much a lock, as is their World Series opponent: The Minnesota Twins. Sound familiar? It should. The Braves and Twins played one of the greatest World Series in baseball history in 1991, if you don’t count the time when Kent Hrbek pulled Ron Gant off first base and somehow got away with it.
The Braves and Twins are each 0-8 today. They have the worst records in their respective leagues. But in 1990, each also finished last in their respective divisions. The Braves went 65-97, worst in the N.L. West (and worst in the majors). The Twins went 74-88, last in the A.L. West (second-worst in A.L., fourth-worst in the majors).
But the following season, the two teams won their divisions and later gave us baseball’s “Worst To First” World Series. (Not that you need reminding but the Twins won the Series, 4-3, winning Game 7 in Minneapolis 1-0 in 10 innings.) Prior to the 1991 season, there had been 245 last-place teams in the National and American leagues and none had come back to finish in first the following season. (It’s worth noting that while the Braves had been bad for several years, Minnesota had won the World Series in 1987, before a three-year fade).
With only eight of 162 games played, neither the Braves nor Twins have clinched last in their divisions yet. But they’re off to a good start — depending on how you define “good.”
If the Braves put 2017 postseason tickets on sale, I’ll let you know.
Recent ramblings from the Digital Jukebox
- Braves’ 0-7 season takes an even uglier turn with Olivera arrest
- Manziel, Gordon should be viewed as sad stories, not punchlines
- Criticism of Georgia Tech’s Pastner seems over the top
- Braves (0-5) are a minor league product in a major league season
- ‘Religious liberty’ bill turned into an Alabama-Vanderbilt game
- Tim Hardaway, Jr. impressing critics, Hawks and his father
- OK, Mike Bobinski, let’s see what you’ve got
- (Early) Nothing Gregory did this season was going to save his job
- Kirby Smart is wrong … but then so is everybody else on transfers
- Ranking Atlanta’s top coaches, from Budenholzer to… um…
- Sticky ball? NBA looks like bigger goofball than Dwight Howard
- Where sports and politics collide, Georgia loses
- Georgia legislators step in it, could lose Super Bowl, other events
- Brian Gregory fighting ‘disappointment’ of uncertain future
- Keith Marshall had fast combine time but is he NFL running back?
- Taking a Digi-Blog stroll through Georgia’s spring practice
- Kirby Smart’s fingerprints are all over changes at Georgia
- Goodell may be stripped of player discipline power (it’s about time)
- Dan Quinn staying loyal to Shanahan, staff amid heat
- $32 million for Sanu? Falcons overpaid to replace Roddy White (updated)
- Spring training: Braves putting a lot on Julio Teheran’s shoulders
- Alex Mack was safest and best choice Falcons could make in free agency
- Spring training: Amid Braves’ makeover, Freeman says he never considering asking out
- Spring training: Braves’ camp in Disney causes extra wear, move would be welcomed
- Falcons’ embarrassing incidents have eroded confidence
- Spring training: Unlike more rookies, Braves’ Olivera has limited time to meet expectations